Aahhh the good old days...
According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because .....
· Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.
· We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.
· When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets
· As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags – riding in the passenger seat was a treat.
· We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.
· We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.
· We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this.
· We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
· We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.
· We did not have Play stations nor X-Boxes, no video games at all.
· No 99 channels on TV
· No videotape movies
· No surround sound
· No mobile phones
· No personal computers
· No Internet chat rooms
· We had friends - we went outside and found them.
· We played Downball, Tiggy and Brandy.
· We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no lawsuits.
· We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.
· We walked to friend's homes.
· The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law.
For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about “us”.
· The majority of students in universities today were born in 1983........They are called youth.
· They have never heard of “We are the World. We are the children” and the Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel.
· They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Limahl or Belinda Carlisle.
For them, there has always been only one
· AIDS has existed since they were born.
· CD's have existed since they were born.
· Michael Jackson has always been white.
· To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine how this fat guy could be a god of dance.
· They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from last year.
· They can never imagine life before computers.
· They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, Red Hand Gang or the Famous Five.
· They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You.
· They can't believe a black and white television ever existed and don't even know how to switch on a TV without a remote control.
· And they will never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.